Archive for April, 2009

Nokia’s Music Store Fail

I heard last night on the Tv that Nokia is going to be releasing their Music store at first I thought maybe this would be great for South Africa since the majority of our population do not have smart phones such as the iphone….

They claim to launch on the 24th but if their current site is any thing to go on I as well as many others will be highly disappointed.

Major issues.
1) Going to the site on a mobile (Nokia 6300) gives a content type of wml (text/vnd.wap.wml) on a phone that clearly supports xhtml mobile profile.
2) Their site isn’t even in wml it is xhtml served with a content type of xml FAIL! on most of the phones
3) They site is missing the correct xml decleration.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> This is normally an issue with IE6 since it doesn’t understand xml…. but wait I thought this was a mobile site?
4) Mobile profile <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
should be used instead of <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
5) Use of javascript on a phone that clearly doesn’t support it, way to go to save data use age. <script type="text/javascript" src="js/getElementsByClassName.js"></script>
6) IE specific css <!--[if lt IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/ie6.css" /><![endif]--> Is this a website NO!

Oddly enough the UK version is more mobile compliant then the international one with minor errors like the xml header (point 1 and 2) other wise pretty nice site.

I am pretty sure there are more basic errors and maybe I will bother to check it out again and update this post but for now I have other important stuff to get done.

Tags: , , , ,

Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 Reviews 6 Comments

I have An droid

I have been using/testing out the G1, based on google’s android coming from a hard core Nokia user it has been an very pleasant experience.

So far I must say I am enjoying it. The Google integration is flawless (What else did you expect). When loading the sim for the first time it asks you for a Google account a few seconds after authentication all your contacts calendar and emails are all synced down to the phone. The contact sync feature to me was the greatest since my old phone had gone to mobile heaven.

Their UI is by far one of the easiest to use and most intuitive. I have only tried out the Apple’s Iphone but so far the fact this phone as a qwerty keyboard makes it easier to use. This does take some getting used to I still feel I type faster on the standard 9 key mobile keypad then this smaller qwerty one.

Hopefully in the next while I will be able to check out their SDK and put together some sort of app. For now I guess I will have to just live with a super cool phone.

Word of note the the synchronization can kinda kill your battery life but all of this is easily turned off or configured to happen at a less frequent interval.

Tags: , , ,

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 Reviews 9 Comments

Evolution missing attachment detector

Last year gmail posted about their Missing Attachment Detector I was surprised this afternoon when my Evolution alerted me i forgot to add the attachment attachment-reminder

It seems evolution has had this feature for quite some time. I couldn’t find the exact date when it was added but according to this bug report it has been there since at least 2007/09/03.

Go Evolution!!

Tags:

Monday, April 20th, 2009 Ubuntu 6 Comments

Split Routing Local Access Restored

I recently followed tumbleweed’s split routing post (his post explains the odd reasoning why any one would go through all this effort) after doing this something/someone (me) removed complete and utter access to localhost. I have been struggling for a few days asking around trying to get local access back. I eventually asked in #ubuntuforums-beginners on freenode and bodhizazen quickly and with out effort asked me for the output of

iptables -L -v

then replied with

iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

and with that I had access to localhost.I was amazed that I never thought it could be a firewall issue! The simplest solutions are normally always the best. 🙂 I do still wonder which one of the numerous iptables configs removed my local access.

On a side note gnome doesn’t like to be started/logged into with out access to localhost. I was stuck in a tty till I worked out gnome has a safe graphics option.

All in all tumbleweed’s post was very well written and easy to follow nice one and thanks to bodhizazen for his help I would also like to thank Michael Gorven for his patience and help in getting this working.

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 Ubuntu 1 Comment